Monday, May 13, 2013

THE TRUTH ABOUT TILAPIA




Those who know me well, know that I LOVE salmon.  I eat it like some people eat chicken.  Well, I got a little tired of the salmon and decided to try tilapia.  It was tasty (after a little Old Bay).  But, I did a little research and this is what I learned:

Although it is a good source of protein (like most fish), tilapia contains very small amounts of omega 3 fatty acids.  These are the fish oils that protect against heart disease, stroke and abnormal heart rhythms.  Salmon has 10 times more omega 3s than tilapia. 

Most of the tilapia is farm raised and a lot of it is imported.  It is known as a "factory fish" because it breeds easily and tilapia fish eat pellets made largely of corn and soy and other grains.

Imports of frozen tilapia to the U.S. rose approximately 30% in 2010, due to the recession because it is generally cheaper than buying other types of fish.  A significant percentage of tilapia is imported from China.  Most of the Chinese farms are poorly regulated.  Most of the fish that China exports are "refreshed."  "Refreshed" means it is frozen and packed in carbon monoxide to preserve color so it can be thawed and sold in fish displays so that it appears to have been recently caught.

In addition, there has been concern over how these foreign fish farms dispose of fish waste.  Some of these farms basically allow the fish to feed off of their own waste and then they turn around and sell the fish to the consumer.  

I think I am going to throw away that bag of tilapia that I just purchased.  BARF!!!!!


Source:  "Another Side of Tilapia, the Perfect Factory Fish."  N.Y. Times, May 2, 2011.

No comments:

Post a Comment