Monday, May 6, 2013

MY STORY: THE BIRTH OF KRIS ALISE FIT


I have always enjoyed being active.  As a child, I participated in competitive swimming, took tennis lessons and played softball.  I even ran track for a stint.  However, shortly after I graduated from law school, I noticed that I was beginning to gain weight.  Stressed out from the day to day demands of my career, I began to turn to food for comfort.  After a few years, I was tired and depressed.  I could not sleep at night and my days were plagued with anxiety.  I began therapy and was prescribed an antidepressant "to take off the edge" as my psychiatrist would say.  Initially, I felt great and lost weight.  I was at the top of my game, or so I thought.  But this new feeling didn't last.  A few months after I started taking the medication, I began to notice that I did not feel as good anymore and that I was no longer losing weight.  I had gained more weight than I had ever gained.  I started researching the side effects of the drug and I learned that weight gain was one of them.  The drug totally altered my body chemistry and it took months for me to even loose a pound.  

At that point, I was totally frustrated and I felt like giving up.  But, during a trip to Hawaii in the summer of 2008 for my brother's wedding I became inspired.  I saw one of my God sisters for the first time in many years while in Hawaii.  She looked as good as she had when she was a teenager.  However, she was 40 years old!  She leads a lifestyle of fitness.  No fad diets, no gimmicks, a lifestyle.  Seeing her gave me hope.  I returned home and started working on my diet and I lost about 17 pounds on my own.  But, I seemed to have hit a wall.  I hired a personal trainer and I became super focused on my goal.  Within 3 months I lost 30 pounds!  Shortly thereafter, I began prepping to participate in my first bikini competition.  All of this at the age of 37.  But, most importantly, I no longer needed any medication for anxiety or depression.

The picture on left was taken in July 2008 at my brother's wedding (165 lbs).
 The second picture was taken in June 2010 at my first bikini competition (118 lbs.)


Shortly after the competition, I got pregnant with my first child.  Having a child changes you in so many ways.  I decided that it was time really focus on what I love.  As a result, Kris Alise Fit was born.  Today marks my child's second birthday.  So, as I celebrate with her, I also celebrate with the release of this blog.

I enjoy inspiring others to reach their health and fitness goals.  The benefits of a healthy diet and exercise are numerous - everything becomes clearer.  And once you become committed to a healthy lifestyle it is a major change for the better.


No comments:

Post a Comment